- BPS is a complex condition, making differential diagnosis difficult and time consuming.3
It may take several months, or even years, before a patient receives a diagnosis4,5
- The severe pain and urinary frequently associated with BPS can have a significant impact on physical and mental health1,2
- Sleep dysfunction, sexual dysfunction, depression and anxiety can all occur as a result of BPS3,6
For more information and educational content on bladder pain syndrome for your patients please click here
- NICE Pentosan polysulfate sodium for treating bladder pain syndrome. Technology appraisal guidance 610. NICE, 2019.
Available at: www.nice.org.uk/TA610
- Scottish Medicines Consortium. Pentosan polysulfate sodium 100mg hard capsules (elmiron®) SMC2194. SMC, 2019.
Available at: www.scottishmedicines.org.uk/medicines-advice/pentosan-polysulfate-sodium-elmiron-full-smc2194/
- European Association of Urology. Guidelines on chronic pelvic pain. Available at: https://uroweb.org/guideline/chronic-pelvic-pain/#4
- Tincello DG et al. Interstitial cystitis in the UK: results of a questionnaire survey of members of the Interstitial Cystitis Support Group.
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2005; 10; 118(1): 91-5.
- Data on file: Malde S et al. Healthcare Resource Use in Patients with Interstitial Cystitis/Bladder Pain Syndrome: a Survey of UK
Patients. Poster presented at BAUS 2019, Glasgow, UK.
- Bosch PC & Bosch DC. Rev Urol 2014; 16(2): 83-87.